Hackathon[edit | edit source]
Wikimania Hackathon 2017 will take place on Wednesday, 9 August 2017 and Thursday, 10 August 2017 during the Wikimania 2017 pre-conference.
Developers, designers and anyone interested in collaborating on a technical hacking project are welcome at the Hackathon.
All participants of Hackathon are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimania Friendly Space Policy. Individuals not cooperating with this policy may be asked to leave the event.
Registration[edit | edit source]
See Registration and register for Pre-Conference Day 1 and Pre-Conference Day 2.
Focus Areas[edit | edit source]
Between now and the hackathon, all participants are welcome to propose sessions, skillshare, & sprints and get involved in projects by featuring or start hacking on one!
- Session covering any of the Wikimedia’s technical areas
- Skillshare on topics around technology stack of Wikimedia projects
- Sprint for making progress in a specific area of a project (e.g. documentation, translation, design, etc)
- Featured Projects suitable for new developers proposed by project contributors
If you have your own ideas for a large-scale sprint, track or other project for the Wikimania hackathon and would like some help in advance coordinating please email Rachel Farrand <firstname.lastname@example.org> so we can work out the specifics.
Program and Schedule Information[edit | edit source]
New sessions are added to the hackathon throughout the event by participants, therefore we do not print the program on paper. You will need a laptop or mobile device connected to wifi or data in order to access the program. There will be a physical up-to-date program at the help desk as well.
Mentoring Program[edit | edit source]
More details coming soon
Volunteering at the Hackathon[edit | edit source]
The Wikimania Hackathon is an event run for and by its participants. Everyone attending the hackathon should take as much personal responsibility to co-create the event and improve it as we go. Below are some pre-defined volunteer groups that any participant can join and help.
Participants[edit | edit source]
Please take a moment to update your own information at the Hackathon/Participants page.
Hackathon Showcase[edit | edit source]
More details coming soon
Recommended Items to Bring[edit | edit source]
- Laptop and charger, it will be very hard to participate without these!
- Power plug converters
- Phone charger
- Preferred note taking tools
- Reusable water bottle (there are ways to refill these)
- Video output converters for possible presentations
- (For chargers, converters etc, consider labelling them with your name/email address)
Media[edit | edit source]
Organizing Team[edit | edit source]
- Rachel Farrand, Main Organizer <email@example.com>
- Siebrand Mazeland, Co-Organizer <firstname.lastname@example.org>