Wikimania 2017 needs you![edit | edit source]
Why should I contribute to Wikimania?[edit | edit source]
Like Wikipedia itself, Wikimania is run on a not-for-profit basis—it's organised and run entirely by volunteers, and we need your help to make it happen! Volunteering at Wikimania is a great opportunity to:
- Give something back to Wikipedia and its sister projects—we all use them every day, but we forget that they are written by volunteers who give their time for free
- Be part of delivering an ambitious, global event
- Put something unique on your CV
- Learn from industry experts
- Enjoy the conference when you're off duty
- Socialise with other volunteers
- Use your skills to help the not-for-profit Wikimedia movement, for example:
- social media
- journalism and copywriting
- stage, audio visual and production management
- technical, web and IT support skills
- event organisation and project management
- leadership and problem solving
- language skills
How can I help during the conference?[edit | edit source]
We will need people to help with:
- Invigilating/moderating sessions
- Recording/streaming of sessions so that those who can't make it to Montreal can still benefit from the discussions had there
- Staffing the registration desk, making sure the process runs smoothly and that people are kept waiting as little as possible (we expect to be busiest on the Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday mornings, so volunteers who could help at these times would be especially valuable)
- Assisting attendees, making sure they can find their way around the Venue, and to other important locations such as hotels and public transport
- Staffing the information desk, answering general queries from attendees
- Assisting attendees in the hotels, making sure they get checked in without any problems and answering any questions they might have
- And more!
and other tasks. We will also need volunteers who are on-hand to run errands or fill in gaps as required to make sure we have the flexibility to cover any gaps.
Being a Wikimedian may be useful in some roles, but is not a prerequisite to volunteering at Wikimania. Attendees of Wikimania from outside Canada are very welcome to volunteer (language skills would be especially useful), but, as a volunteer-run conference, we do not have the resources to assist with the logistics or cost of international travel.
How does Volunteering work?[edit | edit source]
There are a variety of roles, which will be split into shifts so that everyone gets a break and can attend the sessions they want to. The shifts will be around four hours each, but we also appreciate offers of help for longer or shorter periods. We'll be grateful for as much time as you're able to give. You will, of course, be fully supported during your shift—there will be somebody you can turn to if you need help, you will get breaks, and we will provide refreshments.
- Where do I sign up? We'll provide a general volunteer registration form as Wikimania 2017 approaches (around March 2017). We need fewer volunteers during the earlier period, but if you feel you have something to contribute to the early preparation contact the team!
- What languages do I need to speak? Because of its international nature, volunteers to Wikimania are expected to speak at least some English. Speaking French is required for most attendee-facing roles (because of the location), and other languages are especially useful to help with international travelers.
- How long do I have to volunteer to get a free to ticket to Wikimania? At least one five hour shift, but if you can do more that is excellent.
- Will I have to buy my own food? Volunteers will have access to breakfast, lunch and coffee through the conference.
- Will I have to pay for my travel to the venue? We will pay for public transport within Montreal for each day you volunteer, and for your orientation day.
- Will you pay for my accommodation if I am not from Montreal? We wish we could but it would simply not be possible with the amount of interest we have from international volunteers.
- I am from outside Canada. Can I still volunteer? Will you pay for my travel to Canada? You can still volunteer for Wikimania from abroad. For instance, you can help us write up session reports by viewing the livestream. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any help with accommodation or travel for volunteers.
- Can I still attend sessions if I am volunteering? If you let us know in advance which sessions you are most interested in attending, we will do our best to be flexible.
- How are the shifts divided in one day? There are three shifts: Morning (8h–13h), Afternoon (13h–18h), and Evening (18h–23h)