Submissions/Two years of cooperation: The University of Heidelberg, the SFB 933 and Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 6017 Subject - E2
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Christianvater; DerHexer; Marcus Cyron
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- marcus.cyronwikipedia.de: email@example.com
- Christianvater; DerHexer; Marcus Cyron
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- University of Heidelberg and Sonderforschungsbereich (Collaborative Research Center) 933 „Materiale Textkulturen“ of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation)
- Personal homepage or blog
- SFB 933 – Subproject Ö “Schrifttragende Artefakte in Neuen Medien”
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- How do you start a successful cooperation between an University, Wikimedia and the Community of Wikipedians? You need the right people, shared interests, an opportunity and a little bit of good fortune. During the establishment of its programm the Collaborative Research Center ("Sonderforschungsbereich") 933 "Material Text Cultures" ("Materiale Textkulturen") of the German Research Foundation ("DFG"), located at the University of Heidelberg, commited itself to bring the results of its research to a wider public from the start. Wikipedia was identified and chosen as one of the major instruments of public outreach. In fall 2015, a researcher of the CRC 933 came to the annual meetup of the German language Wikimedia community, “WikiCon”, held in Dresden to make contact with persons in the community that could help him getting started. Since then, there has been an intensive cooperation between the two institutions. It is nowadays one of the closest collaboration on the institutional level in the Wikimedia Community in Germany and was awarded with the "WikiEule" (“WikiOwl”) - the community award for volunteer engagement and contributions - for bringing academia and Wikipedia in contact with each other for this project.
- In Heidelberg we try different paths of cooperation in a coordinated approach and follow not just one idea. Members of the university and students are taught alike about Wikipedia - starting with the handling of the MediaWiki-Software, by learning about the community behind it and the organisational level like Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. The Wikimedia comunity worked in edit-a-thons at GLAM on Tour stations on several topics closely together with institutions of the university including museums, libraries and public relations, engaging students, scientists and professional by showing how-it-is-done and asking questions to improve articles. At Wikimania, we will talk about this unique cooperation, the successes but also learnings.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Participants are given new input on how to deal with academic institutions - and academic institutions how they could interact with Wikimedia projects and the Wikimedia community.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? Beginning, intermediate, advanced
- for all levels
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Kritzolina (talk) 07:48, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- Ordercrazy (talk) 16:37, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 16:33, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Barbara Fischer (WMDE) (talk) 07:02, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Freddy2001 (talk) 18:34, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Wuselig (talk) 11:04, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Christina Rupprecht (WMDE) (talk) 11:26, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Mardetanha (talk) 21:02, 27 July 2017 (UTC)