Submissions/Reducing harassment on Wikimedia projects
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 2113 - C6, C4
- Title of the submission
Reducing harassment on Wikimedia projects
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
Caroline Sinders, WMF product analyst
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Recent research has shined a light on the extent that inter-user harassment plagues Wikimedia communities. In early 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation began a multi-year effort to reduce and resolve incidents of harassment.
As product analyst on the Anti-Harassment Tools project, Caroline will share a brief overview of how and where harassment occurs on English Wikipedia, and what we consider to be current deficiencies in the MediaWiki software. She’ll also present our strategy on how stronger tools will empower community leaders to make more confident and accurate decisions in user conduct disputes. Most importantly, she’ll explain the avenues for Wikimedians to get involved to help us make the Anti-Harassment Tools project as successful as possible.
Our current strategy includes four primary focus areas:
- Detection and prevention of harassing message and behavior,
- Reporting system that’s less chaotic and stressful for everyone,
- Evaluation tools to help community members make good decisions, and
- Blocking and protection tools that make it easier to enforce community decisions.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees should leave this lecture understanding what problems the Anti-Harassment Tools team is aiming to fix, our current strategy, and how to participate in the process.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
25 minutes (TBD)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Schiste (talk) 07:55, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thiemo Mättig (WMDE) (talk) 13:37, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 16:39, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- GDubuc (WMF) (talk) 20:24, 1 May 2017 (UTC)
- Kritzolina (talk) 19:26, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- TBolliger (WMF) (talk) 17:39, 20 July 2017 (UTC)
- ...Monikasj (talk) 17:51, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
- Funcrunch (talk) 19:51, 6 August 2017 (UTC)
- אומנות (talk) 17:52, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Iñaki LL (talk) 14:19, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Earlyspatz (talk) 15:40, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- -Another Believer (talk) 16:14, 12 August 2017 (UTC)