Jump to content

Submissions/Reducing harassment on Wikimedia projects

From Wikimania
It's a pdf of Wikimania 17 slides on anti-harassment

This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.

Submission no. 2113 - C6, C4
Title of the submission

Reducing harassment on Wikimedia projects

Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)


Author of the submission

Caroline Sinders, WMF product analyst

Language of presentation


E-mail address



CSinders (WMF)

Country of origin


Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)


Personal homepage or blog


Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)

Recent research[1][2] has shined a light on the extent that inter-user harassment plagues Wikimedia communities. In early 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation began a multi-year effort to reduce and resolve incidents of harassment.

As product analyst on the Anti-Harassment Tools project, Caroline will share a brief overview of how and where harassment occurs on English Wikipedia, and what we consider to be current deficiencies in the MediaWiki software. She’ll also present our strategy on how stronger tools will empower community leaders to make more confident and accurate decisions in user conduct disputes. Most importantly, she’ll explain the avenues for Wikimedians to get involved to help us make the Anti-Harassment Tools project as successful as possible.

Our current strategy includes four primary focus areas:

  • Detection and prevention of harassing message and behavior,
  • Reporting system that’s less chaotic and stressful for everyone,
  • Evaluation tools to help community members make good decisions, and
  • Blocking and protection tools that make it easier to enforce community decisions.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Detox

What will attendees take away from this session?

Attendees should leave this lecture understanding what problems the Anti-Harassment Tools team is aiming to fix, our current strategy, and how to participate in the process.

Theme of presentation

WikiCulture & Community

Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)

25 minutes (TBD)

Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?


Slides or further information (optional)


Special requests


Is this Submission a Draft or Final?

Interested attendees

If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).

  1. Schiste (talk) 07:55, 10 April 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  2. Thiemo Mättig (WMDE) (talk) 13:37, 12 April 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  3. Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 16:39, 12 April 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  4. GDubuc (WMF) (talk) 20:24, 1 May 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  5. Kritzolina (talk) 19:26, 7 May 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  6. TBolliger (WMF) (talk) 17:39, 20 July 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  7. ...Monikasj (talk) 17:51, 21 July 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  8. Funcrunch (talk) 19:51, 6 August 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  9. אומנות (talk) 17:52, 10 August 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  10. Iñaki LL (talk) 14:19, 12 August 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  11. Earlyspatz (talk) 15:40, 12 August 2017 (UTC)[reply]
  12. -Another Believer (talk) 16:14, 12 August 2017 (UTC)[reply]