Submissions/Knowledge for everyone: making access affordable
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 4013 - C10, LE3
- Title of the submission
Knowledge for everyone: making access affordable
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
Roundtable with projector
- Author of the submission
Anne Gomez, Jorge Vargas, Stephane Colliet-Matillon, Florence Devouard, Isla Haddow-Flood, Adam Holt, James Heilman
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
USA, Jordan, India, South Africa, Switzerland, France
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Internet in a box
Wikimedicine project + WMF Board
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Many internet users don’t think twice before looking up a fact or editing content on Wikipedia - it’s their go-to to understand and learn more about what is around them. But for just as many people around the world, the cost of data means that they can’t easily turn to online resources, including the Wikimedia projects, as easily. For example, in Nigeria, the cost of data would need to decrease as much as 97% to achieve widespread affordability. And, over a quarter of people surveyed in Nigeria who are interested in reading Wikipedia reported that they weren’t able to due to the cost of data.
How can we support people globally in their right to freely access knowledge?
This presentation will include an overview of what the Foundation has done in the past to address the cost of data, with projects like performance improvements and Wikipedia Zero. We’ll also discuss what else is happening globally in the movement for the affordable internet. And we’d like to hear how we can work together towards affordable access to Wikimedia projects.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Understanding of the status of past and current Foundation efforts to address affordable access
- High-level understanding of the global movement for affordable internet access
- Ways to participate in addressing affordability
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If possible, please put in the schedule after Free knowledge for complete beginners: introducing Wikipedia to new readers
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).