Submissions/Introducing Training Modules - multilingual training on combating harassment
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 2040 Subject - C6
- Title of the submission
- Introducing Training Modules - multilingual training on combating harassment
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- lecture (though could be a panel)
- Author of the submission
- Joe Sutherland
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- User:JSutherland (WMF)
- Country of origin
- United States (via the United Kingdom)
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Harassment is a growing issue in the Wikimedia movement and actively stifles its ability to attract and retain participants. To combat this, the Support and Safety team, in a collaborative multi-faceted effort alongside the Wikimedia community itself has developed Training Modules. These modules aim to provide succinct information and advice on how to handle incidents of harassment, both online or in-person. The modules are open to all Wikimedia contributors but should be especially useful to those with advanced rights, such as administrators and functionaries, and those involved with community governance groups. Another module, one specifically focused on those involved with events, deals exclusively with the handling of issues arising at in-person meetups or conferences. Ultimately, these modules should assist those key groups better coordinate their work.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- The goal of this session would be to teach people of the existence of these new modules, as well as learn a bit more about how they were developed and came to be. We asked for a great deal of feedback from a large number of community members, and it is important that their work be highlighted here.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- intermediate, advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Ragesoss (talk) 00:29, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
- --Gnom (talk) 13:07, 26 March 2017 (UTC) Let's make Wikipedia green!
- Nattes à chat --Nattes à chat (talk) 00:31, 11 April 2017 (UTC) harassment is an issue that needs to be addressed again and again
- LaMèreVeille (talk) 15:52, 12 April 2017 (UTC) Strongly support. Combating any kind of harassment is extremely important.
- Kritzolina (talk) 19:22, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- אומנות (talk) 14:14, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- TBolliger (WMF) (talk) 17:26, 20 July 2017 (UTC)
- Camelia (talk) 10:06, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- Funcrunch (talk) 20:06, 6 August 2017 (UTC)
- please upload the presentation and add the link here, because it had a lot of interesting resources I would like to explore more. Thank you. --Helixitta (talk) 16:19, 12 August 2017 (UTC)