WikiConference North America
WikiConference North America is the annual conference of Wikimedia enthusiasts and volunteers in the United States, Canada and Mexico. This year's conference will take place in Montreal on August 9-10 as a pre-conference to Wikimania 2017 on August 11-13. An exciting program includes a Culture Crawl, photo drive, speakers, lightning talks, and more.
Registration and check-in[edit | edit source]
- Registration for WikiConference North America is done through Wikimania's registration system. While online registration closed on July 31st, registration is available on-site beginning Tuesday evening. If you have registered for Wikimania, you are welcome to attend WikiConference North America's activities.
- Check-in is available August 8, 9, 10 at the Sheraton headquarters (Le Centre Sheraton Montreal). Here, you'll receive your lanyard, name badge, etc. which you'll need in order to participate in WCNA events.
Submissions[edit | edit source]
We invite you to submit a proposal for a workshop, seminar, tutorial, panel, or presentation! Programming will take place on Day 2 of the pre-conference, August 10.
If you are presenting at Wikimania 2017, but would also like to present at WikiConference North America, we still encourage you to submit a proposal; there will be many concurrent tracks at Wikimania, and presenting twice will allow you to reach more people who may otherwise miss out on your presentation.
Presentation types[edit | edit source]
|Panel||A facilitated discussion among three or more speakers on a pre-selected topic.||30–45 min.|
|Workshop||A facilitated group-wide discussion or hands-on tutorial/work session on a pre-selected topic.||30–75 min.|
|Presentation||A presentation on any topic within the themes covered by the conference.||15–30 min.|
|Unconference||Lightning talk, open space, and other informal formats.||Various|
Proposal themes[edit | edit source]
- Advocacy & Outreach
- Technology & Infrastructure
- Education and Academic Engagement
Wiki Culture Crawl[edit | edit source]
Each WikiConference North America hosts a Culture Crawl - a day-long event where we collaborate with local museums, libraries, and cultural institutions to host free backstage tours, edit-a-thons, and more. These crawls are a fantastic opportunity for conference attendees to experience the local culture, as well as collaborate with local institutions to improve Wikipedia.
This year's Culture Crawl was held on Day 1 of the pre-conference, August 9. There was free access and events with the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ) and McGill University. At the BAnQ-Vieux, we held an edit-a-thon, where Wikimedians utilized the Archive's resources to improve Wikipedia's coverage of Canadian women. We ended the day with an evening reception.
Check out our one pager on the event.
Photo drive[edit | edit source]
This large gathering of Wikimedians presents a great opportunity to help photograph and cover Montreal on the Wikimedia Commons, Wikipedia, and Wikidata. The goal: photograph notable buildings and historical sites (both inside and out), as well as photographing the artifacts and works found with our Culture Crawl collaborators (such as the century-old works provided by the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Prizes will be available, with more details to come.
Participants[edit | edit source]
Plans are still developing, and we welcome you to sign up, expressing your interest in volunteering or attending. Although this is a regional-oriented conference, all participants are welcome.
Interested in volunteering[edit | edit source]
- Pharos (talk) 04:08, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 04:22, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- - AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 04:34, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- - Megs (talk) 14:48, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 14:49, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- I am helping with the Medicine Day on Thursday 10 August and also am doing some video for the conference. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:36, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Padaguan (talk) 21:33, 6 April 2017 (UTC) - I can help as contact with Wikimedia Mexico
- Mohamedusman05 (talk) 04:59, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- -Another Believer (talk) 21:36, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- -TonyTheTiger (talk) 01:39, 21 April 2017 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 10:04, 11 May 2017 (UTC)
- Quercusechinus (talk) 16:44, 11 July 2017 (UTC)
- jim.henderson (talk) 15:47, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
Interested in attending[edit | edit source]
- -Another Believer (talk) 21:36, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- -Missvain (talk) 14:02, 11 May 2017 (UTC)
- -Effeietsanders (talk) 20:48, 11 May 2017 (UTC)
- -Ciell (talk) 15:16, 13 May 2017 (UTC)
- BU Rob13 (talk) 03:33, 20 May 2017 (UTC) (at least for the afternoon of the 10th)
- Librarygurl (talk) 14:03, 7 June 2017 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk)
- Kreyolnyc (talk) 19:02, 15 June 2017 (UTC)
- Uncommon fritillary (talk) 18:14, 18 June 2017 (UTC)
- Econterms (talk) 03:16, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- Funcrunch (talk) 03:06, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
- DanielPenfield (talk) 06:47, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
- Hannibal (talk) 10:21, 13 July 2017 (UTC) (on the 10th)
- DerHexer (talk) 13:54, 21 July 2017 (UTC) At least Day 2.
- Visem (talk) 18:42, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 13:32, 30 July 2017 (UTC)
- Kosboot (talk) 14:08, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- 126.96.36.199 15:34, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- RachelWex (talk) 13:38, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- Rosalina523 (talk) Rosalina523 (talk) 18:25, 3 August 2017 (UTC)
- -Krish Dulal (talk) 01:41, 10 August 2017 (UTC)