Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3030 Subject T1 C5
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia Unplugged
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Roundtable with projector (55 min)
- Authors of the submission
- Anne Gomez, Florence Devouard, Emmanuel Engelhart, Isla Haddow-Flood, Jorge Vargas, Stephane Coillet-Matillon
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- AGomez (WMF), Anthere, Islahaddow, JVargas (WMF), Kelson, Stephane_(Kiwix)
- Country of origin
- USA, Switzerland, France, South Africa
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Kiwix, Wiki in Africa (WikiFundi), Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- 3.9 billion people in the world don't yet have internet access and therefore can't access Wikimedia projects online. But education is a right. How can free knowledge content benefit people around the world that don’t yet have internet access?
- By creating experiences and access tailored for those potential readers, we could reach people who aren’t yet connected. There have been ongoing projects using Wikimedia content offline for 10 years, but where are they now? Come to this session to learn about the many ways we are reaching people offline and share in a discussion about the future of offline access and contribution.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Understanding of the many ways we are working to get people access to Wikimedia content and the challenges in this space
- Ways to participate in supporting offline content consumption
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Beginning +
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes (half presentation, half roundtable)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If possible, please put this submission later in the schedule than Free knowledge for complete beginners: introducing Wikipedia to new readers
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:37, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 01:38, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Doc James (talk) 05:42, 26 April 2017 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 18:32, 3 May 2017 (UTC)