Submissions/Readership metrics: Trends and stories from our global traffic data
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 2111 - C10
- Title of the submission
Readership metrics: Trends and stories from our global traffic data
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Take a step back and look at the big picture! This presentation will
- give an overview over the quantitative information we have about the overall usage of Wikipedia (and sister projects),
- outline how our understanding of it has improved in recent years,
- describe some current trends and past stories,
- explain some new, privacy-friendly metrics that are being introduced currently to improve our understanding of the overall usage of Wikimedia projects, beyond the limits of pageview numbers and unique devices counts.
I also plan to shed some light on how we are using data in the Wikimedia Foundation's Reading team to inform work on the user interface, both on the website and on the mobile apps.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
A better sense of perspective on the hundreds of millions of people out there who are reading Wikipedia (and sister projects), a few central data points to keep in mind, an improved “climate change” awareness of longer-term trends, and some knowledge of new readership metrics that are being introduced.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 13:47, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE) (talk) 07:59, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- Doc James (talk) 21:22, 28 July 2017 (UTC)
- Digitaleffie (talk) 16:31, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Djiboun (talk) 22:03, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- #TMorata (talk) 19:30, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- -Another Believer (talk) 16:02, 11 August 2017 (UTC)