Submissions/Journals Cited by Wikipedia: Evaluating the Impact of Journals on Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 2050 Subject - C7
- Title of the submission
- Journals Cited by Wikipedia: Evaluating the Impact of Journals on Wikipedia / Journaux académiques cités par Wikipédia: Évaluation de l'impact des journaux académiques sur Wikipédia
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Gaëtan Landry (Headbomb)
- Language of presentation
- Both English & French
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- None relevant / Rien d'important
- Personal homepage or blog
- en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Academic Journals/Journals cited by Wikipedia
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation will give a historical and technical overview of the Journals Cited by Wikipedia (JCW) system used by the English Wikipedia's community to keep track of which journals are the most cited. This system is mainly used by WikiProject Academic Journals to prioritize the creation of articles on academic journals. However, the system has many side benefits and can also be used to evaluate the on-Wikipedia impact of academic journals, and provide yet another citation metric, similar to the Impact Factor, Eigenfactor, or PageRank metrics used in academia. I will cover what motivated me to originally propose the JCW system, as well as its technical implementation, scalability, and extensions to other topics (Books cited by Wikipedia, Publishers cited by Wikipedia, etc...). The talk should be accessible and interesting to all audiences, regardless of technical background, but will be most interesting to people interested in Wikipedian history, academic publishing (including open/libre access supporters) as well as those who would be interested in implementing a similar system in other languages.
Dans cette présentation, je ferai un survol historique et technique du système Journals Cited by Wikipedia (JCW, "Journaux académiques cités sur Wikipédia") employé par la communauté du Wikipédia anglais pour déterminer quels journaux académiques sont les plus souvent cités. Ce système est utilisé par WikiProject Academic Journals (WikiProjet Journaux Académiques) pour prioriser la création d'articles reliés aux journaux académiques. Cependant, le système a plusieurs bénéfices secondaires, et peut être utilisé comme un "évaluateur d'impact" sur Wikipédia, semblable aux Impact Factor, Eigenfactor, et PageRank utilisés dans le milieu académique. Je couvrirai ce qui m'a amené a proposer ce système en premier lieu, son implémentation technique, et ses possibles extensions à d'autres sujets (Livres cités par Wikipédia, Maison d'Éditions cités par Wikipédia), ou à d'autres langages. Cette présentation devrait être accessible à tous, peu important le background technique, mais sera particulièrement intéressante à ceux et celles intéressé(e)s dans l'histoire Wikipédienne, aux publications académiques (incluant aux adhérent(e)s du mouvement libre/gratuit), à l'implémentation d'un système similaire dans un autre langage.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Learn a bit about how WikiProject Academic Journals deals prioritizing the creation of articles on academic journals
- Learn why and how the current system came to be
- Get ideas on how to implement similar systems in non-English Wikipedias
- Saura comment WikiProject Academic Journals priorise ses efforts relié à la création d'articles
- Saura comment et pourquoi le système actuel a été mis en place
- Aura des idées pour l'implémentation de systèmes similaires dans les Wikipédias d'autres langues
- Theme of presentation
- GLAM (mostly) / WikiCulture & Community (secondary) / Legal & Free Culture (tangentially)
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes / Oui
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Everymorning (talk) 13:04, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- Particularly interested in how we can bring this together with WikiCite. Daniel Mietchen (talk) 03:09, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Dr. Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 15:38, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Saguaromelee (talk) 19:51, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- RachelWex (talk) 21:49, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (WMF) (talk) 15:57, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Textaural (talk) 02:56, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- Stanisom (talk) 03:38, 2 July 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 15:00, 24 July 2017 (UTC)
- Mlemusrojas (talk) 14:51, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- #TMorata (talk) 17:49, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- JGDove99 (talk) 16:10, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- Cobblet (talk) 03:57, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Peaceray (talk) 13:27, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- MtDu (talk) 18:24, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Quebec99 (talk) 18:32, 12 August 2017 (UTC)