Submissions/How to create a good school project on Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 1002 Subject - FO and E1
- Title of the submission
How to create a good school project on Wikipedia
Comment faire un bon projet pédagogique sur Wikipédia
- Author of the submission
- Simon Villeneuve
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- French and/or English, depend of attendees
Someone told me there will be simultaneous English translation available. So I can do it in French with headphones for peoples who want to hear it in English.
Whatever happened, the slides will be in English.
- E-mail address
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- (une présentation en français suit le texte en anglais)
(feel free to correct my bad written English)
As an edition of Wikipedia grows, so do the expectations. Therefore, it becomes harder and harder to make a good school project on big Wikipedias.
Since Fall 2008, I created two school projects on French Wikipedia : the Cégep de Chicoutimi school project and the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi school project. I extended them in seven different courses, mainly in my astronomy and astrophysics classes. Both projects have introduced Wikipedia edition to about 350 students. They created about 400 articles on French Wikipedia, uploaded about 100 files on Commons, created about 100 articles on French Wikinews, completed about 8 texts and 2 books on French Wikisource.
In this lecture, I will show some tips I learned. With these, maybe you will not follow bad paths and make a good school project more quickly and with less work than I did.
I will also bring hard copies of my textbook Wikipédia en éducation. Divided in 4 parts (how to navigate, study, contribute and teach with Wikipedia), it is for people in education who want to make a better use of Wikipedia in this area, including contributing and building schools projects with it.
Plus une version linguistique de Wikipédia est développée, plus les attentes sont élevées et plus il est difficile d'y insérer un projet pédagogique.
Depuis l'automne 2008, j'ai créé deux projets pédagogiques sur Wikipédia en français : le projet pédagogique au Cégep de Chicoutimi et le projet pédagogique à l'Université du Québec à Chicoutimi. J'ai utilisé ces derniers dans sept cours, principalement d'astronomie et d'astrophysique. Au total, les deux projets ont introduit environ 350 étudiants à la contribution à Wikipédia. Ces derniers ont créé environ 400 articles sur Wikipédia en français, téléversés environ 100 fichiers sur Wikimedia Commons, créé environ 100 articles sur Wikinews en français et transcrit environ 8 textes et 2 livres sur Wikisource en français.
Au cours de cette présentation, je veux transmettre des techniques que j'ai développées. Avec ceux-ci, peut-être pourrez vous créer un projet pédagogique plus rapidement et avec moins d'efforts qu'il ne m'en a fallu.
Je vais également profiter de l'occasion pour apporter des copies papier de mon manuel scolaire Wikipédia en éducation. Divisé en quatre parties (comment naviguer, étudier, contribuer et enseigner avec Wikipédia), il vise à donner des outils à n'importe quel intervenant en éducation désirant mieux utiliser Wikipédia, pour soi-même ou en classe, de manière passive (en naviguant) ou active (en contribuant).
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
The usual suspects (projector, HDMI or VGA connectors for my laptop)
Le matériel habituel (projecteur, prises HDMI ou VGA pour ordinateur portable)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Cantons-de-l'Est (talk) 17:51, 17 February 2017 (UTC)
- VMasrour (WMF) (talk) 19:49, 1 March 2017 (UTC)
- 0x010C (talk) 17:05, 2 March 2017 (UTC)
- Saebou (talk) 15:11, 12 March 2017 (UTC)
- Naval Scene (talk) 10:48, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- Frhdkazan (talk) 14:10, 22 March 2017 (UTC) - active around m:Wikipedias in the languages of Russia
- WritingTeacherC (talk) 17:58, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 16:56, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Benjamenta (talk) 18:42, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- MB-one (talk) 13:16, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 12:11, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Saguaromelee (talk) 19:45, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Wassan.anmol (talk) 18:52, 10 May 2017 (UTC)
- Stefanos Stefanos (talk) 02:06, 15 July 2017 (UTC)
- Camelia (talk) 10:15, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- Mardetanha (talk) 21:00, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
- Rachel Helps (BYU) (talk) 17:52, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- MtDu (talk) 12:56, 11 August 2017 (UTC)