Submissions/Bringing languages closer to enrich each other
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
Presentation is available here
- Title of the submission
- Bringing languages closer to enrich each other
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Santhosh Thottingal, Pau Giner, Amir E. Aharoni
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- aaharoniwikimedia.org, pginerwikimedia.org, sthottingalwikimedia.org
- Country of origin
- India, Spain, Israel
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikipedia is the largest multilingual encyclopedia with 250+ language editions. Each of these language editions differs a lot in terms of amount of articles and users. The Language team in the Wikimedia Foundation has the goal of bringing these languages closer and getting them to help each other to grow their content and traffic. During the recent years, the team has delivered several projects that improved the language support. Improvements cover both content consumption and creation. The Content Translation project, also known as CX, helps editors create new articles by translating them from a different language. The Compact Language Links optimises the list of languages to make it easier for users to navigate between their most frequently used languages and to find information in their languages. Both quantitative and qualitative data suggests that these tools provide tangible improvements in the creation and access to content. In this talk, we will present the problems these projects address, detail the impact they created in various languages, and speak about some future plans.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will gain insight into Wikimedia Language team's projects and their impact
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- KartikMistry (talk) 04:04, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Airwolf (talk) 09:07, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Barrioflores (talk) 00:48, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Frhdkazan (talk) 19:23, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- Mervat Salman (talk) 18:32, 30 June 2017 (UTC)
- Stanisom (talk) 21:31, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
- Mardetanha (talk) 21:01, 27 July 2017 (UTC)