Submissions/Write in Wikipedia Like You Chat With Your Friends: Editing Through Messenger Apps
- Submission no. 3013 Subject - TO
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Title of the submission
- Write in Wikipedia Like You Chat With Your Friends: Editing Through Messenger Apps
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation, although this presentation is on my own behalf
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Small mobile devices are known as devices that make it easy to read emails and websites, to take and upload photos, and to tap simple buttons, but make it hard to write long texts. However, people do write quite a lot on their mobile devices in various messenger apps, such as SMS, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, WeChat, Line, etc. What if you could edit Wikimedia projects directly from these apps? Editing a whole article like this would be weird, but there are scenarios in which editing through a messenger app may make sense: translating short strings; fixing typos; checking facts; adding translations to Wiktionary; and more. I started implementing these ideas at the Hackathon in Jerusalem in 2016. This talk will present the work done in this area till now, and future prospects.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Understanding of new ways to make easy contributions to Wikimedia projects.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- (There will be slides and videos)
- Special requests
- It would be nice to have the possibility to play video with sound
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 12:21, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- --Gnom (talk) 13:30, 26 March 2017 (UTC) Let's make Wikipedia green!
- ערן (talk) 21:27, 8 April 2017 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 12:17, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Schiste (talk) 08:08, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Airwolf (talk) 21:26, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talk) 17:23, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Psubhashish (talk) 11:09, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 18:08, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 13:39, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- --Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE) (talk) 08:07, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- Monikasj (talk) 17:50, 21 July 2017 (UTC)
- Christina Rupprecht (WMDE) (talk) 10:45, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- Michael Jahn WMDE (talk) 13:21, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Samu (wmde) (talk) 16:18, 12 August 2017 (UTC)