Submissions/Wikimedia and sonification
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. L0024
- Title of your submission
Wikimedia and sonification
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
English. Happy to take questions in French and other languages.
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikimedia platforms do not make much use of multimedia, for a variety of reasons. Here, we zoom in on sounds — specifically, sounds generated from data through a process called sonification — and outline an emerging initiative to enrich Wikimedia platforms with sonifications and to improve sonification-related content by collaborating with the International Community for Auditory Display. Starting with a Wikimedia-inspired sonification doathon at their annual meeting in June this year, we plan to make the interaction between both communities more systematic, and by the time of Wikimania, hope to have a useful set of examples that can inspire others to engage with future joint activities.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
… the idea that there is an audio counterpart to visualizations (Wikipedia example), and some examples of how this might be relevant to Wikimedia projects
- Theme of presentation
- Length of submission
All lightning talks are 5 minutes.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- en:Wikipedia:International Conference of Auditory Display
- Sonification do-a-thon at the 23rd International Conference of Auditory Display
- Wikimedia Commons category Sonification
- See also
- Special requests
- Audio support
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).