Submissions/Visual diffs for visual edits
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3068 - T1, T3
- Title of the submission
- Visual diffs for visual edits
- Type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The visual editor makes it possible to edit Wikipedia pages without knowledge of Wikitext. When reviewing an edit before saving, it is possible to see a diff, which highlights the differences between the old and new pages; however, until recently it was only possible to see diffs in Wikitext. This is problematic for users who are not familiar with Wikitext, and it can be difficult to interpret certain kinds of diffs, such as the switching of two columns in a table. Hard-to-interpret diffs can knock the confidence of a new editor, and for reviewers such diffs can make errors and vandalism harder to detect.
- We therefore developed a tool for displaying diffs visually, by showing the richly-formatted page with removed, inserted, changed and moved content highlighted. We briefly discuss the technical challenges associated with calculating diffs between HTML trees, rather than between lines of Wikitext; we demonstrate some use cases of the visual diff tool; and we outline further improvements that we hope to make.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will gain insight into the visual editor's visual diff tool, why and how it was built, and what they can expect in the future.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides: Wikimania 2017 - Unifying editing and visual diffs.pdf
- Video: Wikimania 2017 - Unifying editing and visual diffs.webm
- Special requests
- This would be a particularly good talk to record and to stream, if that's possible.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).