Submissions/Translating Wikipedia as an educational tool
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 6036 -
- Title of the submission
- Translating Wikipedia as an educational tool
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
Lecture (Maybe another type could be better if the organization suggested it)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- es:Wikipedia:Proyecto educativo/Aprendices de traducción con la Wikipedia
- es:Wikipedia:Proyecto educativo/Traduciendo Wikipedia: El encargo real en el aula de Traducción
- en:Wikipedia:School and university projects/Universitat Jaume I - E-translating
- ca:Viquipèdia:Projecte educatiu/Universitat Jaume I - E-translating
- es:Wikipedia:Proyecto educativo/Traduciendo Wikipedia: Inglés en la UM
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects provide us educative tools to develop new programs in educational institutions, like universities. We can read, and edit, Wikipedia in more than 280 languages. Then, Wikipedia can be used as an educational tool for Translation studies at University. Wikipedia provides us sources in many languages and in free licenses to be translated by translation students. The use of Wikipedia, as a wiki, let them know new technologies and tools, work in teams and check the work done by other students. When their work is published on Wikipedia, it is accessible by everybody, and gives them a broad public and great motivation that is difficult to achieve translating traditional works which only their professor reads.
Since 2010, Translation and Communication department of Jaume I University of Castellón (Spain) and Wikimedia Spain work together in an educational project on Wikipedia: Universitat Jaume I – E-translating / Aprendices de traducción con la Wikipedia. The team (Dr María Calzada, Dr Kim Schulte and other team members) developed an educational program since academic year 2010-11, recognized as Educational Innovative Project in 2015. Students translate Wikipedia articles from English to Spanish (since 2010), Spanish to English (since 2014-15), Catalan to English (since 2015-16) and English to Catalan (2016-17). After several years the project has been improved and the main problems fixed. We are still looking for improve the project and at the same time to expand it. Last year a similar project in Murcia University has been created and German included, and implemented also in English this year. During these years, more than 500 students have edited on Wikipedia in English and Spanish (translating from English, Catalan, German and Spanish) and they created more than 100 new articles.
The project was presented at the Translation Europe Forum in Brussels in October 2016, and some professors from several countries were interested in starting it at their universities. This presentation wants to give an opportunity to other wikimedians and professors to reply the project, but avoiding the issues we solved during these years, and of course to get new ideas to improve it. Also a project in Arabic and English was developed in Durham University by Dr Khaled Al-Shehari based on this one, and other professors from different countries are interested in it.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The presentation wants to show the main parts of the project, the problems we have had and how to solve it, and the problems we still have and how we deal with it. We want to analyze its weakness and strength, so, not only what worked, but also our mistakes and how could we solve them and improve the project. We hope that this could be a source of inspiration for other people and they can reply the project in other countries and languages, joining the network we are creating.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Maybe, it depends on the scholarship.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Marinna (talk) 00:01, 26 February 2017 (UTC)
- NSaad (WMF) (talk) 22:30, 6 March 2017 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 08:58, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
- Naval Scene (talk) 10:55, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- Violetova (talk) 13:16, 26 March 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 06:25, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:35, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Lluis tgn (talk) 08:56, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- Vanbasten 23 (talk) 13:43, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
- Poco a poco (talk) 15:46, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
- VMasrour (WMF) (talk) 17:29, 19 July 2017 (UTC)
- very much interested Mardetanha (talk) 21:02, 27 July 2017 (UTC)
- Armineaghayan (talk) 19:47, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Christina Rupprecht (WMDE) (talk) 11:38, 4 August 2017 (UTC)