Submissions/Structured Commons: what changes are coming?
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 8013 - TWD
Notes on Etherpad: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Wikimedia2017-StructuredDataPresentation
- Title of the submission
- Structured Commons: what changes are coming?
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Alex Stinson (User:Astinson (WMF)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Astinson (WMF)
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia Foundation and WMDE are currently working to integrate structured data support with the the software that enable Wikidata, Wikibase, into Wikimedia Commons. This integration Commons allows a number of opportunities in both making Commons a more engage-able platform from editors and readers, improving discovery, organization and the pathway for small contributions in all of the languages supported by Wikimedia projects. Additionally, providing a better Metadata infrastructure allows for better uploading of content from partner Commons a more valuable platform for partner communities wanting to share their media and dynamically take advantage of our community's environment. Like Wikidata, structured data on multimedia files will allow for more dynamic results and improvements to how Commons content can be used both within and beyond the Wikimedia movement.
In this session, the Structured Data team will examine the updated plans for the project, with a focus on where current technological developments are focused, what we are learning from community engagement and research, and the projected opportunities for community engagement over the course of the upcoming year.
Moreover, as part of the discussion we will identify the challenges that we expect to be upcoming, as we select priorities for features and tools that empower our stakeholder communities to use the changing structures of Commons Multimedia. For example, we are anticipating a number of different challenges related to dealing with different types of data important to how Commons is currently curated, including but not limited to categories, information boxes and copyright statements.
The session includes time for questions about the program.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- How Structured Data on Commons will be implemented, as a process, and some guidance on how to engage in the project.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 20 minutes presenting and 10-20 minutes of questions. We expect there to be lots of questions, since this is very a big change to fundamental infrastructure for the movement.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Not available yet.
- Special requests
- May be worth putting near the session at: Submissions/New Frontier: Using Wikidata on Commons
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 13:44, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Gamaliel (talk) 18:50, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 16:40, 4 May 2017 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 09:40, 12 May 2017 (UTC)
- MB-one (talk) 09:13, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 13:35, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- SandraF (WMF) (talk) 14:47, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- Yann (talk) 18:46, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- VIGNERON (talk) 11:16, 20 July 2017 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 08:48, 28 July 2017 (UTC)
- Mlemusrojas (talk) 14:39, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- Djiboun (talk) 22:10, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- Christina Rupprecht (WMDE) (talk) 10:43, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- Rachel Helps (BYU) (talk) 18:08, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- Peaceray (talk) 13:32, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- NickK (talk) 13:40, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Krish Dulal (talk) 16:05, 12 August 2017 (UTC)