Submissions/Review of Research on Gender Bias in Wikipedia
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2115 - C4
- Title of the submission
- Review of Several Research Projects on Gender Bias in Wikipedia
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Reem Al-Kashif
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Reem Al-Kashif
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Ain Shams University
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Keeping the content of Wikipedia neutral is essential in guaranteeing its quality. Wikipedia's Neutral Point Of View Policy (NPOV) triggered research in elements that introduce bias to articles. One of the main areas of research was gender-oriented bias. Researchers used different ways to detect and analyze this bias. Different types of gender-oriented bias were found in Wikipedia. The session will present a review of several external (non-WMF) research projects on gender-oriented bias in Wikipedia.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The presentation is intended for non-specialized, non-academic audience to give insights into how gender bias works and practical recommendations based on the research results to avoid it in writing articles about male and female figures.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Primarily, intermediate to advanced. Beginners might benefit from the practical recommendations.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- TFlanagan-WMF (talk) 17:19, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 23:17, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 13:31, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Jetam2 (talk) 17:33, 14 April 2017 (UTC)