Submissions/Modelling and Ingesting Performing Arts Related Data into Wikidata
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 5005 Subject - G3 and TWD
- Title of the submission
- Modelling and Ingesting Performing Arts Related Data into Wikidata
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Beat Estermann
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Beat Estermann
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Bern University of Applied Sciences; OpenGLAM CH
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Over the past year I have had the opportunity to accompany the Swiss Theatre Collection and the Swiss Dance Archive on their path towards merging their various databases and publishing them as linked data. We used this as an occasion to explore the potential of Wikidata in view of the creation of an international performing arts database, storing data about theatre and dance productions, the people and organizations that were involved in them, the venues and events where they took place, the literary, musical, and choreographic works they were based on, etc.
I will give an account of various aspects of our work, including:
- the development a Swiss Performing Arts Ontology by drawing on various existing data models from the library, archival, and museum domains;
- the data cleansing tasks that had to be carried out before the data could meaningfully be published;
- the linking of the data to other datasets by means of ontologies widely used throughout the linked data community; as well as
- the ingestion of some of the performing arts related data into Wikidata.
The presentation will be used to share our experiences and insights with regard to modelling and ingesting data into Wikidata based on this particular project, both in comparison with the “classical” linked data publication process and in light of some of my other Wikidata related activities, hopefully providing inspiration to others involved in similar endeavors.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The presentation will give a flavor of the practicalities related to data modelling, data cleansing, transforming data into linked data, and ingesting data into Wikidata. For experienced members of the Wikidata + GLAM community, this practical case provides a good starting point to discuss various issues related to turning Wikidata into a hub for cultural heritage related data. And for people interested in covering the performing arts domain in Wikipedia, it gives an idea of what to expect in the future in terms of structured data made available through Wikidata.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- don't know yet
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides on Slideshare
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 11:53, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Seltzerlibrarian (talk) 03:56, 11 April 2017 (UTC)seltzerlibrarian
- Dan scott (talk) 19:55, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Jean-Robert Bisaillon (talk) 11:54, 29 June 2017 (UTC)
- Mlemusrojas (talk) 02:04, 16 July 2017 (UTC)
- Morgannis (talk) 17:55, 26 July 2017 (UTC)
- --Sannita (talk) 23:04, 5 August 2017 (UTC)
- Peaceray (talk) 13:12, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- VIGNERON (talk) 15:46, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- Clifford Anderson (talk) 17:36, 11 August 2017 (UTC)