Submissions/Making Tulu Wikipedia live by creating a new set of active Tulu Wikipedia community
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2100 - C8
- Title of the submission
Making Tulu Wikipedia live by creating a new set of active Tulu Wikipedia community
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Karavali Wikimedians User Group
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Tulu is a Dravidian language spoken by about 3 million people of coastal Karnataka and northern part of Kerala States of India. Tulu Wikipedia was in incubation since 2007. Till January 2014, there were just about 135 articles. Initiative was taken, by way of a meetup at Mangaluru in Jan 2014, to instill new life to the Tulu Wikipedia project which was still in incubation. Many meetups, presentations, workshops and editathons followed this which brought in a new life to the Tulu Wikipedia movement. Print and electronic media mentions and social media activism brought in awareness among Tulu speaking people. A new set of active editors was created by all these. The article count went up from 135 in Jan 2014 to about 1000 in Aug 2016. Tulu Wikipedia became live in Aug 2016 due to these efforts. I would like to present my experiences in creating an active community and making the Tulu Wikipedia live.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Many languages are dying slowly. Non-availability of encyclopedic content in these languages is one of the reasons for people not using the language. Creating a Wikipedia and having open knowledge content helps in making the language survive and grow. Creating an awareness among the stakeholders and motivating them to contribute to a Wikipedia in their language and sustaining the movement is the need of the hour. We are able to do that for Tulu. Many participants may have similar situations at their place. Sharing the experience will benefit them.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 07:59, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- Barrioflores (talk) 01:46, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- Naval Scene (talk) 10:38, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 06:39, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 17:47, 5 May 2017 (UTC)