Submissions/Is Wikipedia ready for videos?
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2098 - G5
- Title of the submission
Is Wikipedia ready for video?
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
chairperson and spokesperson, Wikimedia Israel
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
On July 2016, Wikimedia Israel, announced a new cooperation with the Israeli News Company, which produces the primetime news program on Israel’s Channel 2. The partnership’s aim was to bring, for the first time, current affairs videos to be added, remixed, and shared on the Wikimedia projects. In the first phase, we got and uploaded 30 videos, among them footage from important historical events like the Oslo Accords, the Israel–Jordan peace treaty, Jerusalem and the Western Wall and videos of Israeli politicians and celebrities. But it wasn't so easy. The reactions we faced and the issues raised had a big (negative) influence on the project’s success. When we read an article on Wikipedia, and we think that some content has no consensus – we can edit it, and have a discussion on the specific words or sentences. But what do we do when we have a 2 minute video – and a community member thinks that second 00:30 isn't appropriate? And another member thinks that 01:15-01:20 isn’t? How can we reach a consensus when we speak about videos? What about controversial articles? Does a video need to show the point of view of both sides?
And maybe the most important question – when, finally, will commons and the Media-Wiki infrastructure be friendly to videos?
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Nikikana (talk) 20:41, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 11:24, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- RachelWex (talk) 21:46, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Elisabeth Mandl (WMDE) (talk) 14:16, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
- Ovedc (talk) 07:22, 4 June 2017 (UTC)
- ערן (talk) 07:53, 4 June 2017 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 13:59, 6 June 2017 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 03:10, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- אומנות (talk) 18:29, 10 August 2017 (UTC)