Submissions/How toxic environment affects the community health and which way forward?
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2095 - C6
- Title of the submission
- "How toxic enviroment affects the community health and which way forward?"
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
Roundtable discussion after a brief lecture and testimonies by 4 contributors
- Author of the submission
- Léa Lacroix, aka Auregann
- Benoît Evellin aka Trizek
- Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson
- Amélie Tsaag Valren
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Coordination by User:Dereckson
- Country of origin
- Belgium / France / Germany
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- all participants act under their volunteer status, regardless of affiliation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Multiple behaviors can block communities:
- Users versus Interface
- people don't want to accept new products or new policies that are accepted by the majority
- people who use partial or fake information to promote their point of view in a community discussion about other users or new products
- Users versus user(s)
- a very active user is rude, doesn't respect the rules or harasses others
- users discouraging others by blaming their behaviour, their work
- users harassing people on the base of gender, disability, or any other visible or non-visible distinction
- users rejects any effort to limitate the bias against minorities, announcing they fight "politically correct"
- users harassing people off-wikis
What those people are causing to communities? How can we act again this? How to improve communities' policies to help communities to deal with such people?
The talk will consist in testimonies from different point of view: community reception of innovation, technical spaces community, discrimination against minorities, Wikipedia articles issues.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
They'll gain a better understanding of how the different diversity issues are currently handled on the Wikimedia projects, and what barriers can exist for change, either social or technical.
At the best, attendees and the movement as a whole will take away with solutions to move forward.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 70 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- We'll focus on a testimonies-based approach to relate what the experience is from different points of view
- We welcome input from the session participants to find solutions
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- LaMèreVeille (talk) 15:42, 12 April 2017 (UTC) I strongly support this initiative.
- Kritzolina (talk) 19:20, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- TBolliger (WMF) (talk) 20:12, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
- --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 13:30, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- אומנות (talk) 14:20, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- Funcrunch (talk) 19:45, 6 August 2017 (UTC)
- TMorata (talk) 20:43, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
- Earlyspatz (talk) 18:55, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- Iñaki LL (talk) 18:58, 11 August 2017 (UTC)