Submissions/How to connect Wikimedian and Open Science Communities?
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. L011
- Title of your submission
How to connect Wikimedian and Open Science Communities?
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Daniel Mietchen
- Sarah Behrens (WMDE)
- Martin Poulter
- Language of presentation
- English. Happy to take questions in French and other languages.
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wiki Project Med
- Wikimedia Deutschland e. V.
- Wikimedian In Residence at the University of Oxford, UK
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
In 2016, Wikimedia Deutschland initiated the Open Science Fellows Program in cooperation with the German foundation Stifterverband, a joint initiative by companies and foundations in Germany that wants to promote improvements in science and education. The flagship project aims at promoting the idea of free knowledge in academic research and making scientific knowledge more accessible and reusable. Therefore, ten fellows were selected from a diversity of disciplines to adopt practices of open science into their projects and to connect their scientific results with Wikimedia projects, such as Wikidata or Wikiversity.
This is just one possible way to address academic institutions and to establish ambassadors for openness within the scientific world in order to sustainably strengthen the free knowledge movement. There have been others before like the Wikipedia Ambassador Program, run by the Wikimedia Foundation. The Wikipedia Ambassadors served as trainers, working on- and offline to support lecturers and to teach the basics of Wikipedia editing.
We would like to share our experience with Wikimedians and Wikipedians who are interested in strategies to work with scientific institutions or are interested in Open Science and its relevance for the Wikimedia projects are invited to join our talk.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
This talk reaches out to Wikipedians and Wikimedians, who want to learn about new formats and strategies for addressing institutions in order to spread the idea of free knowledge within academia.
- Theme of presentation
- Length of submission
All lightning talks are 5 minutes.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Examples from 2016/17
- Community digest (scroll down to "In brief")
- Applications for 2017/18
- Special requests
- This talk is related to the submissions Submissions/Bringing Science and Wikimedia together through people: Wikipedia Ambassadors, Open Science Fellows, Wikimedians in residence – what’s next? and Submissions/Bringing Scholarship and Wikimedia together by integrating their workflows.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).