Submissions/Historical geography, Digital Humanities and Wikidata
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3028 Subject - TWD
- Title of the submission
- Historical geography, Digital Humanities and Wikidata
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Susanna Ånäs, Rebecca Kahn
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimaps User Group, Pelagios Commons Community
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimaps User Group will arrange a workshop about modelling historical places in Wikidata in collaboration with the Pelagios Commons community. Pelagios Commons is a community & infrastructure for Linked Open Geodata in the Humanities. This workshop will gather participants from Wikimania and the Digital Humanities 2017 conference, taking place in Montréal before Wikimania.
The workshop will have 2 parts:
- Brief introduction of the Wikimaps User Group, Pelagios Commons, and the WikiProject Historical Place.
- Introduction to handling (historical) geographic data in Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects.
- Wikidata data model for describing places, their names and boundaries
- Queries, visualizations
- Display in MediaWiki
- Import, export and output
- Introduction to the application and potential of historical geodata in Digital Humanities
- Example projects (Wikidata and/or Digital Humanities)
- If you have projects and use cases, please contact Susanna and join the event.
- Discussion, group work
- Contributing to Wikidata. How and what. What would be required to make these resources easily usable for humanities researchers who may have little experience of using open linked data. Support, models, tutorials – What will be needed?
- Best practices of collaboration between Wikimedia and academic research projects
- Modelling historical geographic places in Wikidata. Start creating the best practices for adding data about historical places to Wikidata.
If you have experience in any of these topics, please join introducing them!
- What will attendees take away from this session?
This is a rare occasion to gather practitioners from these groups together, and an opportunity to set up the agenda and community to tackle these questions together. The outcome will benefit academic researchers in the digital and spatial humanities, as well as other humanities fields (history, classics, archaeology etc) as well as wikimedians working with Humanities projects or with any spatial component in the Wikimedia projects.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 120 minutes (80 minutes is possible) The time and date need to be carefully selected to facilitate participation of the DH2017 delegates. This might need to be a pre-conference event.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depending on funding
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).