Submissions/Actions, inaction, interactions of Developer community and Malayalam Language community, and effects
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3016 Subject - TC
- Title of the submission
- Actions, inaction, interactions of Developer community and Malayalam Language community, and effects
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Praveen Prakash
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The presentation is targeted to general users (esp. small language wiki users) and general developer community. I hope other users and developer community can further analyze the issue regardless my point of view.
The presentation will try to cover the following topics:
- General action/inaction of developers and general response of others as I understood from the community (through mailing list and/or other platforms). As being a small language community, our problems are often isolated and/or unique. This cause serious communication problems and/or negligence which often ended upon total misunderstanding. However, even this 'misunderstanding' were not properly communicated so it caused another set of problems such as everything perfect type attitude.
- Malayalam Language consists of ligatures, which often defined by pre or post letters in a word. That Idea is difficult to understand for some people, which also cause large number of issues. Presentation would light some idea of the issue also.
- Deploying solutions without enough study or by ignorance. There were situations that sabotaged wiki flow by deploying bad solutions. Deploying unwanted features forcefully.
- There are unusable extensions deployed in Malayalam Language wikis. By theory, these extensions are pretty helpful but in reality they are totally unusable because of language related bugs in them.
- Misinterpreting the bugs/requirement and provide 'solutions' based on such interpretations.
- How complex scripts (eg: lua) alienated general users from editing templates.
- How wiki culture is moving away from KISS principle and how it affects small communities.
- What will attendees take away from this session? As we know, small language communities getting even smaller. By sharing our experience and view it may help others to further analyze the problem and create a strong community. I hope this presentation will share some light to some technical problems we face as well.
Presentation will be arranged in slides. Arguments often associated with examples or samples. I like to add quote from bugs or general communication for further clarification of the points.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? Beginning, intermediate, advanced
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- May be
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).