Submissions/A monoglot abroad
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2067 Subject - C2 S2
- Title of the submission
- A monoglot abroad
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Andy Mabbett
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- I'm an English-speaking monoglot, yet I've spoken about Wikimedia projects in five continents, and assisted Wikipedians working in many languages, including some minority or endangered. How can Wikimedians collaborate with others who don't speak their language? How can those of us who speak the world's commonest languages be an ally for those who work to document and preserve the rarest?
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- An understanding of when speakers of majority languages should "check your privilege", and of the issues we can cause to those working on smaller, minority-language Wikipedias, and sister projects. How Wikidata helps minority languages.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects (could be WikiCulture & Community)
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on scholarship grant
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 10:17, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- RachelWex (talk) 21:31, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 02:26, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 17:45, 5 May 2017 (UTC)