Submissions/A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Complete Beginners
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 8004 Subject - S2 and TWD
- Title of the submission
- A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Complete Beginners
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Asaf Bartov
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This talk, aimed at complete beginners, introduces the Wikimedia Movement's latest major wiki project: Wikidata. It covers what Wikidata is, how to contribute new data to Wikidata, how to create an entirely new item on Wikidata, how to embed data from Wikidata into pages on other wikis, tools like the Wikidata Game, Article Placeholder, Reasonator, and Mix-and-match, and how to query Wikidata (including SPARQL examples).
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- An appreciation of Wikidata's potential, and familiarity with basic Wikidata techniques.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects (?)
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 180 minutes (I could also offer a shorter version, leaving out SPARQL (covered elsewhere in the conference) and some extras, in 120 minutes. But absolutely no less.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- If selected, please schedule early in the conference, so that attendees can subsequently attend some of the many other Wikidata-themed talks.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- I participated in something like this last year, it was excellent, and I want to participate again because things probably changed, and I strongly recommend this to everybody. --Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 07:14, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Delphine (WMF) (talk) 14:29, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- I highly recommend including Asaf's presentation in the program: Wikidata basics are absolutely necessary skills for communities, and Wikimania is one of the few environments where we get a chance to transmit those skills consistently. Every time Asaf gives the workshop, I learn something new: and he is very good at speaking toward our community's needs. Astinson (WMF) (talk) 19:09, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- We need this session. RachelWex (talk) 21:28, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- I attended a session like this at WikiIndaba, very informative!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 02:21, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- I strongly support this initiative LaMèreVeille (talk) 15:25, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Missvain (talk) 15:34, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- Yes please. Mssemantics (talk) 19:01, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
- Raystorm (talk) 18:40, 5 May 2017 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 01:45, 6 May 2017 (UTC). I have watched the talk that Asaf made available on the Commons, and I have learned a lot, both on Wikidata best practices and on how to present this project to an audience of "absolute beginners." I would definitely attend, as this presentation sparks good questions and discussions. Good job, Asaf!
- Kritzolina (talk) 19:14, 7 May 2017 (UTC)
- Wassan.anmol (talk) 11:46, 11 May 2017 (UTC)
- Very interested in this topic! Ouvrard 24 May 2017
- MB-one (talk) 09:43, 10 June 2017 (UTC)
- Jorid Martinsen (WMNO) (talk) 09:27, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
- Anne Kierkegaard (WMDE) (talk) 10:29, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- --Giyuela (talk) 20:26, 9 August 2017 (UTC)
- Tmainvi (talk) 12:19, 11 August 2017 (UTC)