Submissions/Writing Visual Editor and Parsoid extensions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3075 - TW
- Title of the submission
- Writing Visual Editor and Parsoid extensions
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- C. Scott Ananian (en:User:cscott)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Although both VisualEditor and Parsoid contain extension mechanisms, they are not well-known or widely deployed. As a result, only very few mediawiki extensions generate output which is editable in VisualEditor.
- This workshop will lead participants through the steps of creating a very simple tag extension, consisting of code for Mediawiki, VisualEditor, and Parsoid. The workshop starts where Submissions/Developing your minimal+functional MW Extension leaves off: the basic extension framework is augmented to add a simple parser tag, then we move on to write a Parsoid extension to render the tag data as HTML5 DOM, and finally write a VisualEditor extension to provide custom UI for editing the extension data.
- Our goal is to empower extension authors and maintainers to create excellent editing interfaces using the VisualEditor framework so that our platform can better support the "long tail" of custom or less-widely-used extensions.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn how to add VisualEditor support for their extension, using Parsoid to encode their extension's data as editable HTML5.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Tpt (talk) 07:25, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 10:02, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- GDubuc (WMF) (talk) 20:31, 1 May 2017 (UTC)