Submissions/Wikidata is for everyone (not just for tech people)
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2062 Subject - C7
- Title of the submission
- Wikidata is for everyone (not just for tech people)
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- (can be shortened to a lightning talk, if necessary)
- Author of the submission
- Matti Blume / User:MB-one
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation is intended to be partly a motivational speech, partly a potential analysis from a non-developer's perspective, about the importance of structured data for Wikimedia projects. Questions, that will be answered are: Why should non-tech people care about wikidata? Will Wikidata worsen my editing experience? Isn't structured data only relevant for bots? I want to shed a light on those issues and and
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Wikidata is there to stay and yet large proportions of the communities are reluctant to embrace the idea of using it in Wikipedia and other projects. In this session attendees will get a new perspective on this matter. The aim is, that attendees will know about the possibilities but also the risks, that are involved with a greater integration of Wikidata (or structured data in general) with various other Wiki projects. Last but not least "opponents" will have a chance to voice their reservations and be part of the discussion.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- (can be shortened to a 5 min lightning talk)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
This presentation is non-NPOV, but very much influenced by the authors own experience using Wikidata without any deeper IT background.
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).