Submissions/Wikidata for Digital Preservation
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 8019 - S2, G2
- Title of the submission
- Wikidata for Digital Preservation
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Kat Thornton
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Members of the digital preservation community collate and capture metadata to describe file formats, software, operating systems and hardware, and use it to inform and drive digital preservation processes. In this work we describe how the infrastructure of Wikidata meets the requirements for a technical registry of metadata related to computer software and computing environments. Collaboratively creating this metadata, and making it available as linked open data, will reduce the amount of redundant work digital preservation professionals do in order to describe resources. Having machine-readable, linked open data that describes the digital preservation domain will also allow us to reuse this data in our software applications and information systems, reducing the overhead when building new tools. Furthermore the Wikidata social and technical infrastructure will enable the long term continued access to the data digital preservation practitioners collate and capture.
In this session we will discuss how data modeling is happening within and around Wikidata WikiProject Informatics. We will also discuss how the digital preservation community beyond Wikidata is being engaged in this process. We will demonstrate the current state of digital preservation data by sharing SPARQL queries related to the domain.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will learn about Wikidata, the data modeling activities within WikiProject Informatics, and how to use the Wikidata Query service endpoint to ask and answer questions about the domain of digital preservation.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Beginning and intermediate
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I hope so!
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).