Submissions/Using the Wikipedia trademarks outside and within the Wikimedia movement
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 4020 - LE2, C10
- Title of the submission
- Using the Wikipedia trademarks outside and within the Wikimedia movement
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Charles M. Roslof
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- CRoslof (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Wikimedia Foundation receives requests to use the Wikipedia name and logo (and, less frequently, other Wikimedia trademarks) in all sorts of ways, from teaching courses on editing Wikipedia to writing about Wikipedia in a textbook to creating a Wikipedia article for a fictional character in a film. In this session, I’ll talk about these requests and how we respond to them, with examples of some of the best, worst, and strangest things that have crossed the trademark permissions inbox. I’ll explain the process of evaluating requests—when and why we require trademark agreements for some of them, approve others under the trademark policy, or request modifications of the proposed use. There will also be plenty of time for Q&A—if there’s anything you’ve wondered about how the Wikimedia trademark permissions process works, this is a great opportunity to ask about it.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn more about the process the Wikimedia Foundation uses to review and respond to requests to use the Wikimedia trademarks.
- Theme of presentation
- Legal & Free Culture
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).