Submissions/United Nations Live and Wikimedia
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 5037
- Title of the submission
- United Nations Live and Wikimedia
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- panel and discussion
- Author of the submission
User:Fuzheado and Michael Edson, UN Live
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
United Nations, Wikimedia DC
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This session is designed to find ways the Wikimedia community can assist with the creation of a new institution, The Museum for the United Nations – UN Live, whose mission is to, "connect people everywhere to the work and values of the United Nations and catalyze global effort towards achieving its goals," and a commitment to the "fundamental human desire for culture, education, and empathy to inspire a new generation of global citizens."
The museum has many overlapping themes with the Wikimedia movement and its global base of users and contributors. How might UN Live learn from the community's online culture and norms? What aspects of Wikimedia’s collaboration and governance models would be applicable to the creation of this new institution? How should the museum approach subjects such as multi-language publishing, quality assurance, mobile access, and scale? What parts of Wikimedia’s technology stack are relevant to the museum’s needs and mission? And how can the museum support Wikimedia’s mission, activities, and members?
- What will attendees take away from this session?
A greater understanding of how Wikimedia’s culture, norms, and capabilities can support the creation of a new global institution. An understanding of how the Wikimedia model is relevant to the challenges of international development, human rights, peacekeeping activities, etc. An understanding of how the Wikimedia community can (or should) directly participate in global change initiatives.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).