Submissions/Unifying the editing experience for visual and wikitext editors
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3066 - T3, T1
- Title of the submission
- Unifying the editing experience for visual and wikitext editors
- Type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- When visual editor users need to switch to wikitext, they are taken to WikiEditor, a simple
<textarea>-based editor from 2010. They have to learn a whole new edit toolbar, and do without many of the features of the visual editor, from simple undo/redo to the automatic citation tool.
- Since last year, we have been working on integrating wikitext editing into the visual editor interface. Users can now benefit from quick-switching between visual and wikitext modes, and use all the tools from the visual editor directly on the source wikitext.
- We will discuss the architectural decisions we made to quickly migrate all of the tools written for visual (i.e. HTML) editing to work directly in source mode, the remaining technical challenges, and the API for interacting with the new wikitext source mode so users can update their gadgets.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn about the wikitext mode of the visual editor, why it was built, how it works, how their tools and gadgets can integrate with it, and what they can expect in the future.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? N/A
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides: Wikimania 2017 - Unifying editing and visual diffs.pdf
- Video: Wikimania 2017 - Unifying editing and visual diffs.webm
- Special requests
- This would be a particularly good talk to record and to stream, if that's possible.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).