Submissions/The Wikipedia at the Indian Multilingual context
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 6020 Subject - E3
- Title of the submission
- The Wikipedia at the Indian Multilingual Context
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, round table discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
India is an Asian Country. It's strength is its Multi religious, multi lingual and multi cultural plurality. There are 22 official languages, out of it 15 are Indo-Aryan, four are Dravidian, two are Tibeto-Burman, and one is Munda. All citizens are free to learn, adopt, use any language as per their requirement and wish. To nourish this concept of multi linguality there is a huge presence of media houses, fourth estate (press), theater and film industry in almost all languages at one side and Academies, Agencies, Councils on the other sides. As a result on an average every Indian knows more than a couple of languages.At this multi lingual scenario the entry of Wikipedia is boon to both the language and its speakers i.e. the community speaks that language. Since Wikipedia is emerging as the pioneer of promoting knowledge and languages, all languages are getting benefited with its unique nature of neutrality (neutral point of view) and showing zero tolerance to favoritism. The introduction and promotion of Wikipedia in all the indic (Indian) Languages will not only enhance and augment the knowledge level but also contribute to augment the level of universal brotherhood between the two speakers of different languages and also bring a considerable positive change in the hugely disturbed world.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The attendees will be benefited with new knowledge about the cultural and lingual scenario of the worlds largest democracy called India. The attendees will also come to know about the fact that how the concept of Wikipedia rules the roost at different languages in a different ways especially in a context where multiple knowledge tools are hugely available.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? Intermediate
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 35 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Of course
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).