Submissions/The GLAM Photo Checklist - speed date the complete list
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 5032 - GW
- Title of the submission
The GLAM Photo Checklist - speed date the complete list
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
Barbara Fischer (WMDE); G.prof
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia Deutschland; Wikimedia Switzerland and Laboratory of visual culture at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This contribution aims to produce a useful guide for handling pictures created within the GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives & Museums) context: from alpha to omega. We invite our participants to contribute actively by sharing their expertise and knowledge spurred in a speed dating session.
The session consists in four main phases:
- Pitch (10 min): 5 topics are pitched (from content creation to the spread on Wikimedia projects) and illustrated by one teaser slide;
- Focus group (30 min): participants split into 5 groups to discuss the topics; they share own experiences and insights emphasizing them in 5 clues;
- Checklist (15 min): the 5 groups' ideas are summarized in a complete checklist;
- Grab&go (5 min): the readymade list can be uploaded and printed on the spot - the participants can grab them directly.
Five topics are pitched:
- The ideal reproduction of a GLAM artefact. Starting from the assumption “If we could, it would be us who run the Google Art Project instead of Google!”, the pitch focusses on the essential needs of GLAM imaging. The digitization of the artwork as such.
- Pictures of GLAM objects. The pitch gives an overview of the challenges to obtain good quality pictures of artworks in their own surrounding contexts: technical/formal barriers to be overcome (such as reflections through showcase, angle of view, lightning conditions). And further aims of photo exkursions by Wikimedians beyond images.
- Images upload. From batch uploading tools to the use of ready templates, the pitch provides useful tips for uploading images in the GLAM realm.
- The broader use of structured metadata. Since Wikidata will became the base for the Wikimedia Commons search, the pitch explores the implications of using linked data as a search tool. Presented by NN.
- Analyzing GLAM contributions through data visualization. Visualizing data about the contributions of GLAMs overtime can be useful to better understand their impact in Wikimedia projects. The pitch shows visual models to graphically explore GLAMs content.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Intermediate & advanced; experienced in the GLAM realm
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
Cannot present on Sunday
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).