Submissions/Shining Light on Legal Threats to Free Knowledge
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
- Submission no. 4018 - LE2
- Title of the submission
- Shining Light on Legal Threats to Free Knowledge
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Jacob Rogers, Aeryn Palmer, and Zhou Zhou (WMF legal)
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Jrogers (WMF), APalmer (WMF), ZZhou (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- This presentation will review trends and specific cases that the WMF legal department has handled over the past year. We will cover specific litigation involving the Wikimedia Foundation and unveil our new transparency report, which provides overall statistics on types of legal requests we received, including requests for user information, requests to remove content from the projects, and Digital Millennium Copyright Act removal requests. This year’s presentation will discuss results on freedom of panorama in Europe, new cases affecting writing about criminal history in Switzerland, and attempts by individuals to change official state records in order to alter the Wikipedia entry about them, among other topics.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will gain a better understanding of the legal demands and cases that affect the Wikimedia projects, how the Foundation legal team addresses these issues, and better knowledge of legal developments that may affect the projects for the coming year.
- Theme of presentation
- Legal & Free Culture
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Beginning. Any attendees interested in the law around the Wikimedia projects and understanding how the Foundation addresses these legal issues. Any experience level is appropriate.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 55 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- GastelEtzwane (talk) 12:32, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- DavidMCEddy (talk) 02:09, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- LZia (WMF) (talk) 18:13, 22 May 2017 (UTC)
- Jamie Tubers (talk) 14:59, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
- Yann (talk) 18:49, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
- Kosboot (talk) 14:31, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Cobblet (talk) 03:55, 10 August 2017 (UTC)