Submissions/Materials collected for Wikimedia on election observation in Belarus and Ukraine
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2023 Subject - C1
- Title of the submission
- Materials collected for Wikimedia on election observation missions in Belarus and Ukraine, 2015-2016
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Tomasz Bladyniec
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Polska
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In 2015, local elections took place in Ukraine, and one year later, there were parliamentary elections in Belarus. I had an honor to be one of OSCE official short-term observers on both. In the days of elections and days before, I had an opportunity to visit polling stations and observe electoral process, including voting and counting ballots. I have visited towns and villages, the capitals and remote areas of both countries. Why is it interesting for Wikimedia? Because I had an opportunity to take numerous pictures and some some short films there. I documented the voting process, polling stations, not to mention many small settlements in Belarus and Ukraine. I would like to present effect of my work, especially examples of those pictures used in Wikipedia articles related to Belarus, Ukraine, elections, politics and politicians. There are also some "especially interesting" pictures... you can decide by yourself if they can be considered as proofs for irregularities.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The presentation is an example of opportunity to contribute valuable materials for Wikimedia while performing other activities. It can motivate attendees to be aware of unique situations and places they are in to collect valuable material. It can also give them example to they can be used in practice.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
Not applicable. All are welcome!
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- My presence depends on decision of Wikimedia Foundation or Wikimedia Polska about giving me a scholarship for attending Wikimania. According to my knowledge, probability that Wikimedia Polska will give me the scholarship will be greatly increased if the lecture submission proposal will be accepted.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- The lecture will include a presentation consisting: short description of OSCE election missions in Belarus and Ukraine, my role in it and my place of activity, overall statistics about media collected in the time of the mission and examples of usage of them in Wikipedia articles.
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).