Submissions/Illustrating the flow of time - the possibilities of rephotography for Wikipedia
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 8010 - C1, T3
- Title of the submission
- Illustrating the flow of time - the possibilities of rephotography for Wikipedia
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Ivo Kruusamägi
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Eesti / University of Tartu
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Images in Wikimedia Commons are mostly only searchable by text. Not only most of the files lack coordinates, but dealing with coordinates in Commons has been difficult and time consuming. But that does not have to be that way.
- With a cooperation with Ajapaik.ee we are building a functionality to allow crowdsourced geotagging for the media files in Wikimedia Commons.
- Besides collecting more metadata about the files and making them more easily findable, that integration would also allow interesting new features like rephotography. Integrating that with WLM could help to reinvent the competition and bring new life into it.
- What is rephotography and how could that benefit Wikipedia would be the main topic of this talk.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- This presentation will give an insight about upcoming project, that has a huge potential for Wikipedia.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- don't know
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).