Submissions/How to raise awareness for Wikipedia: lessons from Iraq & Nigeria/notes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- People liked the video :)
- How do you describe Wikipedia?
- Free encyclopedia that anyone can edit
- Encyclopedia open for everyone's contribution
- Question: how did localization work? Was it just the articles and titles shown?
- Answer: due to budget and direction from community, we shot 1 video and swapped out articles and titles to cover 2 languages
Story: guy in the room saw the video and shared it with Russian (with new subtitles) and it was very popular :)
- lack of technical know-how
- Poverty level (access)
- How are you working to raise awareness?
- WMNG is very focused and ready to push
- Working with non-wiki organizations
- Very few contributors, most are just readers
- Wikipedia Fan Club
- What makes this good?
- Just like in NR projects, you need to understand where challenges come from
- Figure out where low awareness is coming from, take care of those problems. Example: Fan Clubs are people who could be advocates
- Showing that User Group in such countrie are empowered. Also need for them to be ale to recruit more volunteers
- More partnership