Submissions/Efforts of Wiki Women Mangaluru towards Gender and Linguistic Inclusiveness
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2038 Subject - C4
- Title of the submission
Efforts of Wiki Women Mangaluru towards Gender and Linguistic Inclusiveness
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
Dhanalakshmi .K. T
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wiki Women Mangaluru
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
A small group of girl students and women aroundd Mangaluru, Karnataka, India, got together and decided to work towards increasing the gender diversity in Wikimedia projects. Wiki Women Mangaluru is born to address the well-know gender gap in Wikipedia and other projects in Wikipedia movement. It all started by girl students at St Agnes College Mangaluru conducting two theme based edit-a-thons in which more than 25 girl students have participated. In thse editathons, articles were added about women writers of coastal Karnataka and about medicinal plants, to Kannada Wikipedia. The aim was to increase the women editors for Kannada Wikipedia as well as increase women related articles in Kannada Wikipedia. The success of the programs led us to create an informal group called Wiki Women Mangaluru. Wikiwomen Mangaluru aims to encourage more women to become Wikipedia editors and also address the difficulties and challenges faced by women while contributing to Wikipedia and editing its pages. Regular meetups and editathons are being organised at Mangaluru to achieve these goals. Since Mangaluru is home to many cultures and languages Wiki Women Mangaluru is focused on the major languages used in that area, viz. Kannada, Tulu and Konkani. Kannada Wikipedia is a matured Wikipedia whereas Tulu and Konkani are nascent Wikipedias. I would like to present my experiences in organising these programs.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will get to know -
- The experiences of organising women Wikipedians meetups and editathons
- The factors that motivate women to contribute more to Wikipmedia amovement
- The ground realities of a women community which is heavy on digital divide and how we put forth our efforts to bidge this by using Wikipedia as a platform
Attendees also can share their experience form their part of te world which may help us to further improve our efforts.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).