Submissions/Edit-a-thons with a Twist: Events of Protest
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2012 Subject - C5
- Title of the submission
- Edit-a-thons with a Twist: Events of Protest
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Birds of a feather discussion
- Author of the submission
- Tanveer Hasan AK and Shobha SV
- type of submission
- Birds of a Feather Discussion, Roundtable discussion
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Lahariyaniyathi and Shobhasv11
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Centre for Internet and Society
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Events of protest were series of edit-a-thons and Scan-a-thon that Shobha SV and I organised with support from CIS to encourgae participation, content generation and improving reach regarding initiatives taken to bridge the glaring gender gap present on Global Wikimedia projects in general and Indic Wikimedia projects in particular.
We have conducted 12 events averaging one per month across a period of one year and have worked with various interest groups such as lawyers, musicians, academicians, activists, writers and like minded enthusiasts. Most of these participants were first time Wikimedians and shared with us the concern of the appalling gender gap present on Wikimedia projects. Many of them have continued to be associated with Wikimedia projects by editing, conducting outreach and involving Wikimedia activities in their course of work after participating in the edit-a-thons
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will take away: # Working with special interest groups to augment content to bridge gender gap
- Tackling the problem to scarce resources and non traditional resources that can be employed to create articles
- Strategies to involve and establishing synergies between various stake holders such as Wikimedia Volunteers, participating researchers/volunteers and organising team for conducting an high impact event
- Employing social media and new media for coverage, reach and discussion about the event both pre and post the event
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience? inter,mediate
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- I will not be able to attend
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).