Submissions/Copyclearing with Wikidata
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 4010 - LE2 - S2
- Title of the submission
Clearing copyright with Wikidata
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
In the world of visuals there is a lot uncertainty if you may or may not show and re-use artwork. It’s for example not clear who is the artist, if the work is without copyright or if the author has been dead long enough to have the works in the public domain and if not, who is the copyright holder and if a collective copyright collectors society represents the artist or the heirs. For years, museums and individuals do this research for each and every artwork and artist individually consuming a lot of time and resources.
We started the project CopyClear to check the copyright en masse by using and enriching Wikidata with copyright related information. We started with querying museum collections, copyright databases and wikidata to enrich wikidata with all the data needed to calculate and handle the copyright like relevant dates, name variants, contacts and copyright identification numbers. We did tests together with the Dutch museum Boijmans van Beuningen and Rijksmuseum Amsterdam if it is possible to automatic run through the whole collection, map it to WIkidata and report and verify the copyrights. Sponsored by the Fonds voor de Creatieve Industrie and SIDN we will present the results and will discuss the potential side effects as this method might be useful for the creative sector and detect material that might be re-used.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Learn how to mass clear copyright of collections, mapping Wikidata to art and to clear the cloud and fear around copyright.
- Theme of presentation
- Legal & Free Culture
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
plan so to do
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:58, 9 April 2017 (UTC)