Submissions/Alternative displaying of categories on the page
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 3025 Subject - T1
- Title of the submission
- Alternative displaying of categories on the page (might change)
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- not sure which to choose - it is presentation of existing new solutions as well as looking out for new ideas and requests (aka discussion); if not accepted as regular session, it may be turned to the lightning talk(*) just to present those existing new solutions
- Author of the submission
- Danny B.
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Special:EmailUser/Danny B.
- Danny B.
- Country of origin
- Czech Republic
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Currently, categories at the bottom of the page are displayed completely unsorted, unstructured, unorganized pile (the only partial exception is hidden categories). This makes orienting in them quite hard, especially when the page contains many categories of mixed type (general, maintenance, tracking, meta, ...).
The session will present two (maybe three, one is under development now) gadget-based solutions on how to display the categories more effective and structured way. One is applicable on any wiki, one has been designed and created originally specifically for the Wiktionary purposes, but may work on relevant pages elsewhere as well.
The following discussion should collect ideas for other solutions and improvements of which some may then turn to ie. GSoC project.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Ideas (and some existing solutions) on how to display categories on wikis in more reasonable way.
Developers ideas for improvements of relevant part of the MediaWiki or creating of extensions or gadgets.
Depending on the discussion, presenter (or whoever else) may gather enough material for possible GSoC (or other) project specification.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
may turn to the lightning talk if not accepted as regular session, however, 5 min LT seems to be too short to be able to present everything properly, so 10 mins would be better
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- depends on scholarship, preferably yes
- Slides or further information (optional)
- not ATM, will be later
- Special requests
- not known any ATM
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).