Submissions/Allies Birds of a Feather
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2017.
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2002 Subject - CD
- Title of the submission
Allies - Birds of a Feather
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
Birds of a feather discussion
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
English, but happy to co-facilitate with multilingual discussion if French or other facilitators would like to join!
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
United States and India
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This is a session for anyone who considers themselves an ally to others on Wikimedia projects! As we seek to support marginalized communities and address systemic bias on Wikimedia projects, many of us find ourselves in positions of power and privilege. In different contexts, we may be sometimes an ally or sometimes marginalized ourselves. Let's gather to discuss what we're learning from navigating these context shifts, challenges and successes in being a good ally, and how to support and encourage other allies on Wikimedia projects. As an outcome of the discussion, the group will create 1 plan of action for shared allyship practices going forward.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Better understanding about how to navigate between being an ally and being a member of a marginalized community (many of us are both!).
- New allyship skills based on hearing from other allies' challenges and successes.
- A growing support network for people who identify as allies.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
1 hour (or whatever the standard BoF session length is)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).