Submissions/All Ages: How to Build a Movement
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2069 subject - C5 C9
- Title of the submission
- All Ages: How to Build a Movement
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Deb Nicholson & Molly DeBlanc
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- freedeb, mollydb
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Free software movement
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
We want the free software movement to keep growing and one facet of successful movement building is embracing a multi-generational community. The good news is that there is no age requirement for using, promoting and contributing to free software. The bad news is that we aren't always doing a great job of facilitating a diverse, inter-generational movement. We'll take a look at what we're currently doing to bring in young people, how we are treating older people in our communities and where there is room for improvement.
Using examples from other movements and inter-generational communities, we'll identify tactics that aren't being used to build the free software community and see what we can collectively port over. We plan to inspire the audience to find ways to recruit and retain young people, inspire older people to participate and maintain an unbroken thread of free software conservatorship. If the long-term success of the free software movement is important to you, then you should come to this talk!
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Action items for building an all-ages community.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Can't present on the 12th or 13th.
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Amir É. Aharoni (talk) 10:28, 11 April 2017 (UTC)
- Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talk) 18:35, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 18:37, 12 April 2017 (UTC)