Submissions/3 million old place names
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 7015 Subject - L1
- Title of the submission
- 3 million old place names
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Lightning talk
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Institute of the Languages of Finland has decided to make available their digitized historical place names collections on a wiki platform. It will be a Wikibase repository, which will be designed to connect with Wikidata. The plan is to allow crowdsourcing interfaces to add or correct information, place names on a map and connect with other sources. The data will be made available for hobbyist history research. The project will make use of discussions in the WikiProject Historical Place in Wikidata.
In this lightning talk we will present what has been accomplished by that time and what plans are ahead, and can discuss briefly similar ideas and projects across Wikiverse.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The presentation informs about the possibilities of the Wikimedia ecosystem, and hopefully connects with likeminded developers.
- Theme of presentation
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- It will be an overview suitable for beginners as well as advanced listeners
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 5 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on funding
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides (Google slides)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).