Submissions/“The Earthquake Goal”, and other tales about south american football in the spanish Wikipedia
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 2132 - C7
- Title of the submission
“The Earthquake Goal”, and other tales about south american football in the spanish Wikipedia.
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
In Wikipedia, editing about football is a special thing. It’s difficult to keep the neutral point of view in the related content, since you will always be colliding with passionate fans. Now, editing about south american football takes all those issues to a whole new level. Somehow, all those emotional outrages from football crowds all across the continent find their way into Wikipedia. Not through insults and physical violence, but with heated arguments, some of them even camouflaged under an elegant rhetoric.
I will be sharing a set of personal experiences about conflicts, disagreements and reversion wars, over the most unthinkable, yet tiny topics. Glorious nicknames, adjectives, dubious achievements and records, and hidden jokes about relegation of rivals. Some of these confrontations end with users being blocked. But, sometimes, they may lead to approach those users to the community, building a healthier environment and yielding better editors in the process.
From these intense conflicts, some curious stories arise, like why in spanish Wikipedia we have an article named “The Earthquake Goal”, originated when a local seismographic agency registered a tremor within the Richter scale, allegedly generated when the fans celebrated the annotation in the stadium.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
They will enjoy some interesting experiences about a hot topic in Wikipedia, but also they will learn how to cope with such scenarios.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes (pending scholarship approval)
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Submission is a Draft
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Marinna (talk) 23:10, 25 February 2017 (UTC)
- MCruz (WMF) (talk) 21:25, 28 February 2017 (UTC)