Editathon for Bassel
This will be a drop-in edit-a-thon / hack-a-thon / transcript-a-thon discussion in honor of Bassel Khartabil. Saturday, August 12th, 2017; 11:00 - 15:30 in Salon 4.
Bassel was a Syrian open web developer, Wikipedian & archivist, and peaceful activist, executed by the Syrian government. Let's come together now to keep his work alive and grow the projects he was working on and the knowledge he helped to grow and share.
Additional meet-ups to continue this work during Wikimania 2017 and beyond will be coordinated as well. Join remotely or dedicate an edit to Bassel by tagging your edits with #wikibassel hashtag in edit summary
- added references and additional info on Bassel Khartabil's English language wikipedia article
- created French language New Palmyra Project article
- expanded and added references to Copyright Law of Syria English language article
- created Сирійська_діаспора Ukrainian language article on Syrian Diaspora
- Converted external links into references, converted official site to proper template for Arab Society for Intellectual Property English language article
- created Italian language New Palmyra Project article
- News articles have been written in Dutch, Spanish and English
- Created Knowledge commons article in Arabic wikipedia.
Topics[edit | edit source]
Potential topics and suggested articles for improvement, additions welcome and encouraged:
Ideas for articles to create or improve[edit | edit source]
- translate Bassel's English Wiki article, add information from recent news
- write an article on the Bassel Khartabil Free Culture Fellowship on Wikipedia
- find notable quotes from Bassel's tweets and add to Wikiquote
- expand Bassel's Arabic Wiki article, add information from news
- write a Wikinews article (please read the talk page too)
- write a Wikipedia article on Openclipart and/or New Palmyra Project
- expand/translate New Palmyra Wikipedia article - add 3D models from project to Commons such as Arch of Triumph, Tetrapylon, Asad Al-Lat, Temple of Baal Shamin, Temple of Bel, Roman Theater; add to articles.
- expand/translate Syrian diaspora
- expand/translate Political prisoners in Syria
- There are some Syrian women on these lists: Medieval Arabic women poets ( نساء شعراء في العصور الوسطى ) and List of Arabic Women in Red (قائمة النساء العربيات في الأحمر )
- CC and licensing
- update Arabic Creative Commons Licenses Wikipedia article
- update Arabic Creative Commons Wikipedia article
- create Arabic Wikipedia article for Open_Music_Model
- expand/translate Copyright law in Syria article
- add sources to and improve Arabic Open Content Wikipedia article
- expand Arabic Wikipedia page for the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- add some sources to Open specifications
- expand/translate Wikipedia:Women in Syria (see other women in country articles for possible sections)
- add sources to and copyedit/translate Open License
- add sources to and improve/translate Openness
- add sources to List of free-software events
- add citations, copyedit and improve/translate Commons-based peer production; also harmonize with Peer production.
- improve/translate Knowledge commons
- clean up citations in and formatting of Open data
- add citations for list of open content articles lacking sources
Other projects[edit | edit source]
- Letters/Writing Project: Some participants will also be working on digitizing, transcribing, and translating Bassel's letters and other writing. Please bring your ideas for honoring and disseminating his work. People involved with curating Bassel's letters and writing will be in attendance.
- Music Projects: Help archive the music produced for Bassel via the Disquiet Junto project, collating those works with CC licenses, discuss how or if it could enter Wikipedia, and role of music and audio in this work.
- Social Media Research: Rong Wong has been researching FreeBassel social media for a number of years and will be sharing her recent research; come learn, experiment, and discuss future applications.
- Palmyra: create and expand articles on Palmyra topics in all Wkipedia language versions, as a support of Bassels' own efforts to preserve the city's heritage.
Articles / Sources about Bassel and his Work[edit | edit source]
"New Palmyra" Annie Schneider https://harvard.academia.edu/AnneSchneider
New Palmyra Press Page http://www.newpalmyra.org/press/