Submissions/Wikidata loves GLAMs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an Open submission for Wikimania 2017 that has not yet been reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Wikidata Loves GLAMs
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Jason Evans (Jason.nlw)
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- National Library of Wales, Wikimedia UK
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedian in Residence, project page
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Panel (to be confirmed) will highlight ways that GLAM's of all sizes can utilize Wikidata to enrich their data, Provide detailed data for open images, publish Open Data and explore their collections in new ways. Glam's can also use Wikidata to publish and explore their data in multiple languages. Wikidata also allows GLAM's to connect their collections together, creating a web of interconnected (linked) data. Jason will draw on his experience as a Wikimedian in Residence at The National Library of Wales, highlighting the challenges and successes of the project, including the appointment of the worlds first Wikidata Visiting Scholar and the way in which teams of volunteers were engaged in the project. The Panel will also discuss ways that the Wikidata community can do more to support GLAM's and mentor those who want to make the leap to Wikidata.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will hear about successful Glam - Wikidata collaborations which will give them the knowledge to advocate the use of Wikidata in GLAM's. They will better understand Wikidata from a GLAM's perspective; their expectations, needs and restrictions. They will understand the kind of tools and visualisations that GLAM's will need to share more data via Wikidata. They will learn about how to nurture and engage volunteer communities of all abilities with Wikidata projects.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Hopefully, but it would help my case!
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Example of a project i managed
- Special requests
- Submission is a Draft
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- MB-one (talk) 15:30, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:00, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
- Vladimir Alexiev (talk) 06:08, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Rhododendrites (talk) 13:53, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Yarl (talk) 19:36, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Avery D Jensen (talk) 04:03, 31 March 2017 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 11:52, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 14:40, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Jsamwrites (talk) 18:56, 9 April 2017 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 18:21, 12 April 2017 (UTC)