Submissions/Wiki Loves the Olympics
This is a Completed submission for Wikimania 2017 ready to be reviewed by a member of the Programme Committee.
- Submission no. 5040 - P1
- Title of the submission
Wiki Loves the Olympics
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, poster, birds of a feather discussion)
Poster (it could be a different type, like a part of a lightning talk or a panel, or a lecture, if the organization and people found it interesting)
- Author of the submission
- type of submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia España, Iberocoop
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wiki Loves the Olympics Blog de Wikimedia España
- Cierre del concurso Wiki Loves the Olympics Blog de Wikimedia España
- Wiki Loves the Olympics encourages collaboration on Wikimedia projects Wikimedia Blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
The posters wants to sumarize the experience of combine a writing contest and a photo contest with a main international event. The 2016 Summer Olympics celebrated in Rio de Janeiro were an opportunity to organize an on-wiki activity related to them and get new content. The Grupo Wikimedia Brasileiro de Educação e Pesquisa organized a photo contest to get file on Wikimedia Commons, but the groups that are not based in Brazil could also help organizing a writing contest. We decided to organize a multilingual contest, with KISS rules, and with several special categories to promote the creation of articles about women and Paralympic games, that are bad represented on Wikipedia. The results, thanks to a campaign on Wikipedia and social networks, were quite good, with 45 participants, 1335 articles in 15 languages (1199 new articles) and more than 12 millions of bytes. There were also several local activities.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees can get ideas and inspiration for future events and how to manage a multilingual and international contest (how to combine several projects to get more impact like local events, #100WikiDays, etc.) or how to manage to check this amount of articles and what kind or prizes are better.
- Theme of presentation
WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Maybe, it depends on the scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
The poster should be printed in Montreal.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).